- This event has passed.
Welcoming the Stranger Series: Immigration Detention
Jun 9, 2021
As the United States’ reliance on immigration detention has ballooned over the years, so has the inhumane treatment and documented instances of abuse at taxpayer expense. Hear firsthand accounts of how people are treated inside these immigration prisons and after their release. A new video series and published report reveal once again the harsh realities inside these detention centers. Be inspired by local Presbyterians and interfaith coalitions who advocate to end immigration detention even as they seek to minister with individuals who are detained. Find out how you can become involved as part of a national campaign to welcome with dignity immigrants in your own community.
- Susan Krehbiel, moderator, Associate for Refugees and Asylum, Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
- Amilcar Valencia, Executive Director of El Refugio and member of Georgia Detention Watch based in Lumpkin, GA.
- Rev. Tom Hagood, pastor of Columbia Presbyterian Church in Decatur, GA and Chair of the New Sanctuary Movement of Atlanta
- Rev. Heidi Worthen Gamble, Mission Catalyst, Presbytery of the Pacific in Los Angeles
- Rene Anita Chombeng, Immigrant Organizing Coordinator, Presbytery of the Pacific in Los Angeles
Register in advance for this meeting on Zoom by clicking here! After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. You can also join us on Facebook at the PCUSA Washington Office page for live streaming.